Thursday, September 08, 2005

Buena Vista Home Entertainment Lied to Me?!

Please note the sarcasm that comes with the title. Once again the worst excuse for a home entertainment company lets me down. There I was browsing the shelves of Woolworths, when my eye was caught by the DVD of "Pokemon Heroes", it was only £4.99 and I was tempted. I knew that the R1 DVD was pan and scan and I thought to myself "no", 'tis a work of pan and scan evil! But then I remembered that BVHE UK had delivered the previous movie "Pokemon 4Ever" to the UKers in glorious anamorphic widescreen, a thing which no doubt left most Americans seething as they clapsed the Pan and Scan copies that BVHE US has given them. So I picked it up turned it over and Yay! It said clear as day "Widescreen Format", my heart jumped! I looked beneath and it said "1.85.1", again I nearly cried I was so ecstatic, I looked on the spine and saw a glorious logo that procliamed "widescreen". That was it, I was sold, I bought it!

Then when I arrived home, it went in the DVD player the second I got through the door, and lo and behold, 'twas pan and scan! Anyway I grudgingly sat through the next 75 minutes, the outrage causing me to foam slightly at the mouth! When it was over I checked the bonus features, and what a shock. Whereas the film had been butchered into pan and scan, the bonus features when presented in widescreen!!! What the?!! I'm baffled, well and truly baffled. I shouldn't be surprised, it's not the maddest thing BVHE UK have ever done.

Now the point of this story is not that BVHE UK lied to me, or that they destroyed a film by chopping bits of the picture off. No, the point of this story is that once again, being the foolish mortal that I am actually believed and trusted BVHE UK. I have been bitten more than enough times by BVHE UK, yet still I continue to dip my hand in chicken blood and waggle it before the hungry tiger!

And will I do this again? Buy a BVHE UK DVD without checking meticulously every review and online scrap of information to make 100% sure that they are telling the truth? Of course I will because BVHE have me in their snare. I'm a BVHE addict and the only way out is death!




< The pan and scan BVHE UK effort, and above the widescreen print how it should be.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The outcry over the syndicated episode of Roseanne have led to panic, dismay, fear, chaos, nausea, strains of bird flu and random acts of Cher impersonation. But could a light be at the end of the tunnel.

Well Anchor Bay UK have made an announcement that should lift the spirits of all the fans of the chubby, animated Disney cow voicing woman.

and I quote: "Anchor Bay UK is releasing masters supplied by the production company. We will investigate this and if there are longer versions available we will use our best endeavours to get them and issue them accordingly.If we do this, it goes without saying that we will be more than happy to exchange the longer versions for the short versions, so true Roseanne fans can put them in their boxes accordingly."

Well let's hope that does happen, or I may have to get pitch-fork happy on their asses!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home